Everyone likes a treat, and the animals at the Zoo are no exception! Visitors can watch these special "egg hunts" and learn about their favorite animals.
The enrichment team at the Saint Louis Zoo has planned special "egg hunts" for animals and families are invited to watch.
Keepers, curators and volunteers at the Zoo plan enrichment activities for the animals throughout the year as a way to make life more interesting for the animals. The animals are encouraged to forage for food, invent "toys" out of everyday items, explore with new exhibit "furniture" such as logs and vines, or even sniff new scents. Enrichment activities are fun for the animals, visitors and the keepers.
This year's Enrichment "Eggstravaganza" schedule includes:
• 9 a.m. at the River's Edge: Egg hunt for hyenas
• 9:30 a.m. at the Sea Lion Sound: Frozen egg hunt for sea lions
• 10 a.m. at the Fragile Forest: Egg pinatas for orangutans
• 10:30 a.m. at Red Rocks: Egg pinatas for babirusa
• 11 a.m. at River's Edge: Egg pinatas for elephants
• 11:30 a.m. in the Primate House: Enrichment activities for ruffed lemurs
• 12 p.m. at Sea Lion Sound: Hardboiled eggs for meerkats
• 12:30 p.m. at the Fragile Forest: Enrichment activities for gorillas
• 1 p.m. at the Bird House: Enrichment activities for hyacinth macaws
• 1:30 p.m. at the Bird House: Enrichment activities red-billed hornbills
• 2 p.m. at Big Cat Country: Enrichment activities for jaguars
• 2:30 p.m. at the Primate House: Egg pinatas for spider monkeys
• 3 p..m. in the Herpetarium: Melon nests for giant tortoises
• 3:30 p.m. in the Children's Zoo: Egg pinatas for mole rats
Kids' enrichment activities will be offered from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Schnuck Family Plaza.
The Enrichment Eggstravaganza will be held on Sunday, April 20 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Saint Louis Zoo.
More information: www.stlzoo.org