September and October are prime months for outdoor family fun, so kick off your fall with the Life Outside Challenge! Discover the more than 128 miles of paved greenways across the St. Louis metro area during September and October, try free challenge activities, win prizes and discover new places! And, since life outside is all about fun, it couldn't be easier or more fun to participate.
What's the Life Outside Challenge?
The Life Outside Challenge is a free, fun way to get outside and try new things on the greenways all across St. Louis. Greenways are more than bike trails (although those are pretty great!). Some of the challenge activities include walking for 20 minutes, picking up 20 pieces of litter, listening for birds and making pieces of art from a leaf you find along the greenway. (Learn more about the Life Outside Challenge activities here.)
And get this:
• There's no registration, no fees, no deadlines (yes, everything is FREE!)
• Participate in as many or as few challenges as you want. If you do 10 of the challenges, you can log them and receive greenway prizes
• Take part in one of the FREE Life Outside Challenge Meetups to complete multiple challenges in one day.
Activities at the Meetups include:
• Guided Greenway walking tours
• Children's book readings
• Nature Crafts
• Cell Phone Nature Photography with Master Naturalists
• Yoga (short classes, all ages welcome!)
• Make lasting memories as a family
All three Meetups are from noon to 3 p.m:
• Saturday, September 17: Dardenne Greenway in Legacy Park in St. Charles County
• Saturday, September 24: St. Vincent Greenway in Ruth Porter Mall Park in St. Louis near the Delmar Loop
• Saturday, October 1: Mississippi Greenway in Cliff Cave Park
Catch a movie or two at the Saint Louis Science Center's OMNIMAX Theater, where films are shown featuring the IMAX with Laser. This state-of-the-art theater provides the sharpest images, unmatched sound quality and 40% greater color range than traditional theaters. The five-story, 80-foot-diameter dome will fill your entire field of vision providing a truly immersive experience.
Your child is old enough to start kindergarten, but is he or she ready? Are you? At this special presentation, both you and your child will get a brief overview of what is expected before your child even enters the classroom. You'll also receive a free backpack and school supplies. Registration is required.
Read to a friendly therapy dog from DUO Dogs, Inc. After the story, the dog's handler will answer any questions kids have about therapy dogs, pet care and more. For ages 3-11. Registration is required for this free program.